To dye or not to dye
My father was a distinguished salt and pepper by age 43, and a beautiful snowy white by 55.
My first grey hairs began to appear during college, and all through my late twenties were scarce enough to simply be a badge of honor: in number they could easily align with all my trials and tribulations.
However, by my thirties it became another thing altogether.
Now, I must face the unfortunate fact that, every three to four weeks, I relinquish way too much time to this vanity project.
Growing out will be an ugly prospect.
Cut it short - get it over with quickly.
"Grey hair is sexy," my husband says.
My hairdresser says, "Not now - you are too young." She gets nothing out of this by the way, I cannot afford to pay her to color, only cut.
Would my students think of me as the "old" teacher?
Do they already notice my grey roots? Of course, they must.
So am I living a lie, or just making a necessary accommodation for the ageism that exists?
After much thought, my barometer becomes to simply ask myself, does it make my happy, or in the words of Marie Kondo, does it bring me joy?
And the answer is that when I have to do it, "no." When it's done, "yes."
Perhaps in a few years, when I have decided to embrace my oldness, but not now.
Still trying to stay "forever young," through dying...
My first grey hairs began to appear during college, and all through my late twenties were scarce enough to simply be a badge of honor: in number they could easily align with all my trials and tribulations.
However, by my thirties it became another thing altogether.
Now, I must face the unfortunate fact that, every three to four weeks, I relinquish way too much time to this vanity project.
Growing out will be an ugly prospect.
Cut it short - get it over with quickly.
"Grey hair is sexy," my husband says.
My hairdresser says, "Not now - you are too young." She gets nothing out of this by the way, I cannot afford to pay her to color, only cut.
Would my students think of me as the "old" teacher?
Do they already notice my grey roots? Of course, they must.
So am I living a lie, or just making a necessary accommodation for the ageism that exists?
After much thought, my barometer becomes to simply ask myself, does it make my happy, or in the words of Marie Kondo, does it bring me joy?
And the answer is that when I have to do it, "no." When it's done, "yes."
Perhaps in a few years, when I have decided to embrace my oldness, but not now.
Still trying to stay "forever young," through dying...

Mine started turning at 18, so I started turning to the dye bottle then! I have no idea what color my hair really is now, but I did decide to leave two streaks at the front just to see what they would look like, and they are pure white. Not brave enough to let the whole thing go, but I did end up keeping the streaks. They look like Rogue from the X-Men, so I'm going with the idea that those of us early grey-ers are superheroes!
ReplyDeleteLove this idea!
DeleteMine started in my late twenties. Over the next 20 years, I have become a lovely salt & pepper. In fact, once, sitting in a salon chair, the woman in the chair next to me asked, "Is that from a bottle or natural?". That was confirmation that I didn't need to dye.
ReplyDeleteI'm dying right along with you. I just tell myself my hairdresser is finding my REAL color. :)
ReplyDeleteNice way of looking at it. Thanks!
DeleteUnfortunately, ageism DOES exist. And because it exists in the workplace, that's why I continue coloring my hair. Someday, after I retire, I'll let it go natural. Maybe. :-) ~JudyK
ReplyDeleteI am in the same place - after I retire:)
DeleteI get this... and am right there with you!
ReplyDeleteLove the raw honesty and reflection in this post! Makes me think of the double standard- my brother and husband don’t think twice about emerging grays, while I’m on a mission to seek and destroy. Love your stylist’s response best!
ReplyDeleteNot always a matter of being old or young, but whatever YOU like. We shouldn't feel pressure to do what anyone else thinks is appropriate, to thine own self be true!
ReplyDeleteHa! The pun is a good one. The hamster wheel you are may not have an exit you like. I am glad that I like my 'natural highlights', though not much chance of going white as all genetics point to shades of grey.
ReplyDelete