Copy Copy "Do You Hear Me?"

Copy Copy “Do you hear me?”

I am blessed to work in a county that is fairly affluent, but like a lot of affluent people, they are always spending a bit more than they should, and that leads to penny pinching in strange places.

Today for instance, as on many days, there are issues with the copiers.  I have avoided a lot of the drama that has occurred throughout the year surrounding making copies,  because I now do a lot of things on line. But today, I’m copying prompts and outline organizers so my students can practice the writing process for the essay portion of the SOL.  The toner is streaking terribly - no one can read it. I move to one downstairs (we only have two in the entire building for over a hundred teachers). The toner’s bad here too, but readable - I make do.  

Toner seems to be the issue today- toner is very expensive I hear, and gets put on an allowance. We only get so many toner cartridges a year. We never have enough.  That and staples. Staples seem to be an issue too. The basics get short shrift - not as flashy as that iPad, but a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run.

The plus side is I get to sit at a table where the sunshine is streaming over my shoulder, and it is quiet, and I can focus.  A friend comes in whom I don’t normally see, because I’m not usually in this workroom, so I get to catch up. She’s had a tough go of things lately, I am glad we get to talk.  

Teachers often feel that their voices are not heard, especially when it comes to things like the allocation of resources, but we are really pretty good at hearing each other.

Comments

  1. We have 3 new admins and a new head secretary this year. Suddenly getting copy paper from the front office to the nearest workroom (we are a big building and have three) is a HUGE issue. We now have designated "paper monitors" for each workroom who are the only people who are allowed to call the office to request more. I guess the office was getting too many calls from too many different people. A first world problem for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read your details about your school, I immediately thought "sounds just like my school" and then I check and realize who wrote this blog entry and that it is my school!! I like how your post celebrates an attribute that teachers are good at - listening. Fingers crossed that the next time you need copies, a machine can deliver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The copy room is definitely the teachers' "water cooler." Glad you were able to get the job done today. A rarity like the sunshine streaming over you shoulder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To dye or not to dye

Only the beginning

Strong Head Winds