Lament to a lost hour
March 10
An homage to Auden
“Lament to a lost hour”
Turn forward the clocks, chop the hour off at 2,
Prevent the dog from sleeping with his early meal,
Silence the snores and with yawning wake
Hop in the shower, let the steam slowly slake.
Let husband sleep, tossing and turn
Sheets tangled and swirled seem to say: “the Hour is Gone.”
Set each ticking clock in the house to new time.
Let the birds sing me awake and the sun warmly shine.
Spring is my Time, my Warm, my New and Best,
My planting time and my sunshine rest,
The snow days, the slosh, the dirty and muddy dog;
It felt like winter would last forever: I was wrong.
The snow is not wanted now; rain slow your pace.
Pack up the scarves, hot chocolate and marshmallows back in your place,
Rake the last of the leaves, clear the way for new growth.
The daylight stays longer now: Spring is here.
Sunday is for silliness and so I took something pretty terrific and turned it into a trifle. Please enjoy the original.
Haaa! After I watched the video I reread yours with an accent and it was a totally different experience. This was fun! Thanks for a great slice.
ReplyDeleteA well written poem about our short day.
ReplyDeleteThat is one of the most moving scenes I have ever watched in a movie. You have done a splendid job turning the poem on its head. It is just what I needed this first morning of DST.
ReplyDeleteWow! Loved it. And loved seeing that scene again. It has been years.
ReplyDelete