Peaceful Saturday

The winds have died down, the sun is out.  I just bought flowers for the first time in a while - I shouldn't have waited so long.

Sun streams through the front storm glass door and my old frail cat basks in it, trying to clean himself.  His hair is long and easily matted, and it's hard for him to keep it untangled.  He getting old- 98 in cat years. He has a thyroid problem, and is on medication.  My mom laughs at this, she says, "I have a thyroid problem too, it's what happens when you get old."  He's feisty though, and constantly begs for attention, and meows for food - his thyroid issue means he's hungry all the time - all day long, so much so that I begin to lose sympathy. The meowing can drive me crazy.  He rubs up against my dog, the edge of the door, the banister- he's so insistent, and bold - I admire his tenacity and pluck - he still has such personality for an old dude.
Now he is in my lap, jealous of the keyboard, trying to push my fingers away, all while kneading my thigh, his sharp nails poking through my jeans into the skin.  "You are such a pain! " I think, but also warm and soft and purring.  "Okay, you win."

Comments

  1. I might be a dog person, but I can relate to your cat's insistence on attention. My Lucy makes her needs known with a low whine, which can be annoying, but she is happy to snuggle next to me while I have the laptop on my lap, her body pressed against my thigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely cat slice. Lovely morning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To dye or not to dye

Only the beginning

Strong Head Winds