The earring

“The earring”


My son has been home for two minutes and I notice a glint behind his ear, just a small sparkle as he turns.  “You got an earring!” I say….”Yeah,” he smiles sheepishly. “You like it? I can always take it out…”
“I love it!” I say.  
“What?” my husband pipes in from across the kitchen, “you got an earring?”  My husband has picked my son up from the bus station, taken him to dinner and now come home, and he has not noticed.
“The girls really like it,” my son replies.  Ha! and Hmm... I think.


When I was his age and in the place I grew up, a man with an earring in his left ear was wearing a silent signal that he was gay.   Hmm...


Later, my middle one sees it and offers, “Cool dude, looks good.  You know the thing is, the diamond they give you when they pierce is kinda tacky.  You should were a black one.”
“Oh, yeah,” he says, “a girl friend told me the same thing.”  Ha! I think. And Hmm.


My oldest daughter comes in that evening - “John!  You got an earring! Really! So tacky!”


The differences between the generations in my family are remarkable. I had always thought we saw most things pretty similarly, but John’s earring shows me differently.

Ha! And Hmm...



Comments

  1. I love the variety of comments form everyone in your family. Each person said only a little, but it gave a good glimpse into their personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you "Has" and "Hmms!" I am sure an earring would get mixed reviews at my house too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great slice of life in your household. And you are so right, the whole conversation has and is changing. Thank goodness or life would really get boring! But one thing hasn't changed, lol, dad didn't even notice!!! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of dialogue - what is said tells so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the variety of perspectives. Who knew an earring could define generations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If he's looking for advice on the matter, it sounds as if there's no shortage at home! Sisters are great that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So well written. I felt like I was in our living room listening. Great onomatopoeia too, loved how you repeated those sounds bookmarking observations

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am unknown Kathryrn, Colleen, don't know why it did that

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To dye or not to dye

Only the beginning

Strong Head Winds