The value of commenting learned

The email ping chimes into my thoughts.  I try to resist my Pavlovian response - "focus" "grade" "ignore the distractions"  "I should really figure out how to put that thing on silent."
After a few minutes I cave and flip over to the email window. And, instead of one of a million things it could be, it is, to my delight, a comment on one of my slices. 
So kind, so thoughtful.  Such a simple gesture that means so much. 
I am taken aback my how much these little comments mean to me.  I didn't think I needed that.  I still don't.  But it turns out it can really make my day. 
Thank you!  to my tiny band of commenters.  You have taught me the value of this for not only myself, but for my students in their writing. 


Comments

  1. The counselor at my school is a huge proponent of the 2 x 10 strategy. That where you spend 2 minutes per day for 10 days in a row talking with an at-risk student about anything she or he wants to talk about. Commenting is like that. It is a small way to make a big impact. I've been doing the SOL challenge for a few years and still get excited every time someone comments on my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...it is, to my delight, a comment..." A phrase that we've all felt this month too. I like how you linked it to our students' writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy the ensuing ping of my comment...
    I've enjoyed many of your slices this month...especially the one about the chandelier. It gave me an idea to write about today...a lonely avocado on the sidewalk. Thanks for reminding me how we all are living the writerly life together...and support is ever-so nourishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how much the comments mean and how much I enjoy hearing from others. It does support the importance of commenting on student work - and conferring with students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The comments do mean so much. My face lights up with joy when I see a comment flash across the screen. So true about the value in commenting in students’ writing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post resonates with me. Comments are like a smile, a touch, a "How are you?" And out of the slicing and commenting, cyber friendships spring up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for thanking your commenters. It encourages us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to that! Writing can be a lonely life, but less so if we can build a community.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To dye or not to dye

Only the beginning

Strong Head Winds